Sunday, April 11, 2010

Kurai Ondrrum Illai

Kurai Ondrum Illai

By

Rajaji

Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari (10 December 1878 - 25 December 1972), informally called Rajaji or C.R., was an Indian lawyer, Indian independence activist, politician, writer, statesman and leader of the Indian National Congress who served as the last Governor-General of India. This great song written by him was popularized by the great M.S.Subbalakshmi.

Translated by

P.R.Ramachander

Raga Ragamalika
Tala Aadhi

Pallavi (Shiva Ranjani)

Kurai ondrumillai, marai moorthi kanna,
Kurai ondrum illai Kanna
Kurai ondrum illai Govinda

Anupallavi (Shiva Ranjini)

Kannukku theriyamal nirkindary Kanna,
Kannukku theriyamal nindaralum enakku,
Kurai ondrum illai marai morrthi Kanna

Charanam

1.Vendiyathai thanthida Venkatesan endrirukka, (Shiva Ranjini)
Vendiyathu veru illai marai moorthy Kanna,
Mani vanna, Malayappa , Govinda, Govinda


2.Thirayin pin nirkindary Kanna,Unnai (Kaapi)
Marai othum jnaniyar mattume kanpaar,
Enraalum kurai ondrum enakillai Kanna

3.Kundril mel kallagi nirkindra varada,(Kapi)
Kurai ondrum illai marai moothi kanna
Mani vanna , malayappa , Govinda, Govinda



4.Kali nalukku irangi, kallile irangi (Sindhu Bhairavi)
Nilayaga kovilil nirkindray Kesava

5.Yathum marukkadha malayappa, un marbil,(Sindhu Bhairavi)
Ethum tharnikkum karunal kadal annai,
Endrum irunthida ethu kurai enakku,
Onrum kurai illai marai moorthi kanna,
Manivanna, Malayappa , Govinda, Govinda


English translation

Pallavi

Oh Krishna , the lord of the Vedas, I do not have any problems,
Oh Krishna, I do not have any problems,
Oh Govinda, I do not have any problems

Anupallavi

Oh Krishna, You stand there as invisible,
Oh Krishna, even if you stand invisible,
Oh Krishna , lord of the Vedas, I do not have any problems

Charanam

1.When you are Lord Venkatesa to give all that I need,
I do not have any more needs, Oh Krishna, Oh Lord of the Vedas,
Oh Lord with attractive colour, Oh Lord of the mountain , Oh Govinda, Oh Govinda

2.Oh Krishna, You stand behind the curtains,
And you can be seen only by wise men who learn Vedas,
But still I do not have any problems. Oh Krishna

3.Oh giver of boons, who is standing as a stone on a hill,
Oh Krishna , the lord of the Vedas, I do not have any problems,
Oh Lord with attractive colour, Oh Lord of the mountain , Oh Govinda, Oh Govinda

4. Taking pity for the age of Kali, coming in to a stone,
You are standing in the temple as the moon light.

5.Oh Lord of mountain, who never says no,
When on your chest , the mother who is the sea of mercy,
Is living for ever , for the sake of this world,
What problem can be there for me?
I do not have any problem. Oh Krishna, Of Lord of the Vedas
Oh Lord with attractive colour, Oh Lord of the mountain , Oh Govinda, Oh Govinda

3 comments:

  1. It's difficult to translate such song into any language as the essence has to be maintained.

    I take liberty to use the contextual and alternative words in English to give the proper meaning.

    Here you go...


    1.
    I have no desires (I'm contended) oh, Lord of vedas, you Kanna
    I have nothing to complain Kanna
    I have nothing to complain Kanna

    2.
    You're standing in invisible state
    Even though you're in that state, for me
    I have nothing to complain Kanna (nothing is making me worried)

    3.
    When there is Lord Venkatesan who gives what I desire,
    nothing is wanted oh Lord of vedas
    Manivanna (blue colour skinned), Malayappa (Lord of the hills), Govinda Govinda

    4.
    You're standing (hiding yourself) behind the curtain
    Kanna, You're standing (hiding yourself) behind the curtain
    Only those who chants Veda will be able to see you ( have darshan)
    But still I have nothing to complain

    5.
    You're standing in the form of a rock on top of the hill, oh Lord Varadha
    (This line is specifically praises Lord Varadharaja in Kancheepuram)
    I have nothing to complain oh Lord of Vedas
    I have nothing to complain oh Lord of Vedas

    6.
    Considering the sad situation of Kali, you come down on the earth in the form of stone
    Standing still in the temple oh Kesava
    Considering the sad situation of Kali, you come down on the earth in the form of stone
    Standing still in the temple oh Kesava

    7.
    Nothing is denied by you oh Lord of the hills
    Nothing is denied by you oh Lord of the hills on your chest
    who she is living there who is the ocean of kindness (Meaning Lakshmi is living on His chest all the time)
    This is there always, so I have no problem or I'm always contended (I have nothing to complain).
    This is there always, so I have no problem or I'm always contended (I have nothing to complain).

    8.
    I have nothing to complain oh Lord of vedas
    I have nothing to complain oh Lord of vedas
    Manivanna (blue colour skinned), Malayappa (Lord of the hills), Govinda Govinda







    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the accurate lyrics and English translation. For the good of hindi readers, can we have a accurate hindi tranlation. Thanks for your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir, thanks for the translation. Came to your site after a Telegu friend of mine asked me for the translation. Was wondering where was the Vedas or which word was referring to "lord of the vedas" in the actual song. Appreciate your clarification...

    ReplyDelete